Access Auburn's Top Ten Stories of 2012
The world did not end in 2012 and neither did the news. It was tough choosing only ten stories this year. Which stories would you have included that we didn't?
| Top Ten Stories for 2012|
1. Tragic Shooting
2. Toomer's Trees
3. Football Meltdown
4. Alum Accolades
5. Dr. Aubie
6. You're So Right
7. No. 7 For Aubie
9. Exit 50
10. War Damn Barbie!
- The tragic shooting deaths of former Auburn players Ed Christian and Ladarious Phillips, and Auburn resident DeMario Pitts shattered the night on June 9. Suspect Desmonte Leonard was arrested and charged with three counts of capital murder.
- The trees at Toomer's Corner continued to dominate the new with play-by-play coverage of the oaks' demise and plans for moving forward.
- No one would believe the nose dive taken by the Auburn Football program that found the year end with Gene Chizik out and Gus Malzahn in.
- Auburn alums dotted the headlines for honors with actress Octavia Spencer taking home an Oscar, NFL star Cam Newton the Rookie of the Year, and writer Ace Aktins honored with an Edgar nomination for best mystery novel.
- Auburn's Research Park gathered steam with deployment of a high-powered magnetic resonance imaging facility and the announcement of the locating of the Auburn campus of the Via College of Osteopathic Medicine in the park.
- Among the passings observed in 2012 were Jordan-Hare Stadium "voice" Carl Stephens and Aubie creator Phil Neel.
- Auburn mascot Aubie won his seventh mascot National Championship (or as "Big Al" would count it, 14).
- Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard fought hints of a scandal when it was revealed that 2010 GOP campaign spending was funneled to companies he controlled.
- The growth of the Auburn Technology Park continued with several business locations and the inauguration of Exit 50 on Interstate 85 in Auburn.
- Every Auburn girl's dreams were realized when Mattel released the first genuine Auburn Barbie.