Access Auburn's Top Ten Stories of 2015
Our top story in 2015 made the list in 2014 and will likely be near the top again in 2016. These are Access Auburn's Top Ten Stories on 2015.
| Top Ten Stories for 2015|
2. Growing Pains
2. Toomer's Reset
5. Tiger Giving
6. Schmid Elementary
7. A @#%*-ing Day
8. Creepy Dude
9. Food Fight
10. Mustache Guy
- Oceans of motions have been filed in 2015 in the case of embattled Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard, charged by a Lee County grand jury in a 2014 23-count indictment against the Auburn legislator. Stay tuned. This could be the top story of 2016 when it is scheduled to go to trial.
- Threatening to change Auburn's downtown skyline forever, developers proposed a half-dozen 75-foot multi-story mixed use projects in the downtown area. Opponents have countered with a temporary moratorium on high density "private dorm" development.
- The walls came down, the lights came on, a dedication ceremony was held, rolls of toilet paper were thrown, lemonade was consumed, one of the trees was replaced and life got back to normal on Toomer's Corner in 2015.
- We saw a lot of Cam Newton in 2015, from ubiquitous television commercials, to the gridiron where his 2015 Carolina Panthers enjoy the NFL's best record, to the classroom where he finished his Auburn degree. Look for a big jump in 2015's average starting salary for new Auburn graduates when the number come out.
- Tiger Giving was not only a successful funding drive for AU (Kick6starter?), it was a recurring theme as celebrity former Tigers Bo Jackson, Tim Hudson, Jason Dufner, Kendall Simmons, and others lent their name and their time in support of charitable causes in 2015.
- They went viral on YouTube, then came for the real life Auburn experience; our favorite story of 2015 was the teachers and kids of Schmid Elementary School who became part of the Auburn Family.
- Blue language shocked many of the orange-clad crowd when a student sponsored concert featuring hip-hop stars Ke$ha and Nelly was made part of the A-Day festivities at Toomer's corner.
- It was disturbing news that a creepy Auburn University lab tech was selling large quantities of a "date rape" drug. Stephen Howard pled guilty in an agreement with prosecutors to avoid up to 20 years in jail. Sentencing is scheduled for February 24.
- The choices for food in Auburn keep getting better all the time. Our
Mustache Guy favorites for everyday lunches in Auburn are still Momma Goldberg's Deli on Thach and Johnny Brusco's New York Style Pizza on East University, but the award for best local dining experience in 2015 goes to a new restaurant, The Depot by the tracks on Mitcham Avenue.
- The erection and unveiling of Auburn's $13.9 million video board gave us a huge image of an eagle consuming a whole mouse, the "Mustache Guy" and even a marriage proposal. Some even blamed the video board for Auburn's disappointing 2015 football campaign.