Access Auburn's Top Ten Stories of 2018
Former Alabama Speaker of the House, Mike Hubbard was convicted of 12 felony ethics counts in 2016. He has yet to see a day in jail--our top story for 2018. Read our top ten.
| Top Ten Stories for 2018|
1. Mike Hubbard At Large
2. Growing Concerns
3. Sky-High Parking
4. Hoop Dreams
5. Aubie Turns 40
6. Election Day
7. Mystery Solved?
8. Dee Ford! (No, Not Him)
9. Top of The Class
10. Snow Day!
- Convicted felon Mike Hubbard remained free on bond pending his appeal of a four-year sentence in 2016 for ethics violations.
- Auburn reported the second fastest population growth in the state and downtown construction continued unabated in 2018.
- The price of parking in downtown Auburn quadrupled as the city extended enforcement hours.
- Bruce Pearl's Auburn basketball exceed all expectations in 2018 with an SEC regular season crown.
- Auburn's favorite tiger, nine-time mascot of the year, mascot hall of famer, Aubie turned 40 in 2018.
- In August, Auburn held city elections and began the Mayor Ron Anders era with six first-time city council members.
- With an arrest made in connection with the 2006 disappearance of Lori Slesinski, we may soon learn of her fate.
- A "boring surveyor from Kent," Dee Ford found out what it means to be a member of the Auburn Family during a November visit to the Plains.
- Auburn University reached the pinnacle of educational excellence with the awarding of the prestigious Carnegie Institute designation as a top-tier research university.
- Auburn students enjoyed a rare snow day last January as the state experienced a major snowfall, closing schools and businesses.