Access Auburn's Top Ten Stories of 2021
For the second year in a row, The COVID-19 pandemic was Access Auburn's top story of the year but there was more news in 2021. Check out our Top Ten Stories of 2021.
Top Ten Stories for 2021
1. More COVID
3. Suni Fever
4. AU Defense
5. Short-term Rentals
6. Growing Pains
7. Corrupt Politicians
8. State Champs!
9. Safe on Campus?
10. Moore Passes
- Despite the wide availability of a vaccine, the Covid-19 pandemic claimed 155 lives of Lee County residents, an increase of 36% over 2020. Fewer than half of county residents are fully vaccinated.
- Given the amount of digital ink used to publicize the event, one would think that the upcoming opening of the Buc-ee's will be one the most auspicious occasions in Auburn history. Watch this space.
- Auburn and the World went crazy over gymnast and Dancing With the Stars star, AU freshman and Olympic medalist, Suni Lee.
- Auburn is known for a strong defense. This was recognized in a different way when Auburn grad Lloyd Austin was named Secretary of Defense.
- The fight over game-day rentals heated up when limits were placed on overnight rentals in most residential neighborhoods, prompting one City Council member to file suit against the city.
- The 2020 Census revealed what most of us already knew, Auburn is growing rapidly with the population topping 75,000. The growth has heated the local economy and fueled labor shortages. EAMC opened a stand-alone ER to support the increased demand.
- In what has become an annual story, the deeds of corrupt politicians filled the news. Lee County District Attorney Brandon Hughes was sent to jail for abusing his office and disgraced legislator Mike Hubbard was revealed to be lobbying from behind bars to change the law so he could be released.
- 2021 Coach of the Year Matt Cimo's Auburn High School Baseball squad continued their winning ways notching another state championship.
- A number of sexual assaults were reported on campus in the Fall, prompting students to protest safety measures and to raise awareness of the problem.
- A name that is synonymous Auburn Athletics, long-time Faculty Athletics Chairman and the namesake for Auburn's softball field, Jane B. Moore passed away April 9.