Access Auburn's Top Ten Stories of 2022
Chris Roberts became Auburn University's 21st President in 2022, Access Auburn's top story for the year. Check out our Top Ten Stories of 2022.
Top Ten Stories for 2022
1. Mr. President
2. COVID: Year 3
3. Case Closed
5. Harsin Out, Freeze In
6. Public Art
7. Fine Dining
8. Parks & Rec
9. Your Vote Matters
10. Go Crazy, Cadillac!
- Auburn trustees named Samuel Ginn College of Engineering Dean Chris Roberts to take over the helm of the institution, replacing twice President Jay Gogue.
- Although, in many ways, 2022 seemed liked the end of the COVID pandemic, there were more cases reported in 2022 than either of the previous two years and the virus was to blame for nearly 100 deaths in Lee County.
- After more than 15 years, Mark Whitaker, a special agent with the Alabama State Bureau of Investigation made an arrest and earned a murder conviction in the 2006 disappearance of Lori Slesinski.
- Auburn Gymnastics proved that they were more than just the Suni Lee show. Led by senior All-American Derrian Goburne, the Tigers raced to the NCAA Final Four for the first time in program history.
- The scary Bryan Harsin era died on Halloween with a successor named November 28. New Head Football Coach Hugh Freeze hit the ground running and turned a suspect recruiting class into a top 20 collection in a few short weeks.
- The City of Auburn repealed its ban on outdoor murals after a mattress dealer challenged the ordinance and won the council over.
- Auburn cemented its reputation as a foodie mecca with the opening of several high-end restaurants and The Tony and Libba Rane Culinary Science Center on the Auburn campus. Watch for our review of the deluxe 1856 Restaurant as soon as the second mortgage on the house is approved.
- One story that has not received enough attention is the outstanding job being done by Rebecca Richardson and her staff at the Auburn Parks and Recreation department. After adding new park facilities in 2022, including the amazing all-age, all-ability inclusive playground off of Wright's Mill Road, the department announced ambitious plans for the new Lake Wilmore Community Center.
- A Republican Primary election for Alabama House District 27 ended when incumbent Tom Whatley conceded. The race, which was original called a one-vote win for challenger Jay Hovey, was declared a tie by the Alabama Republican Party. Hovey was elected in the general election in November.
- At one of the darkest moments in Auburn Football, Cadillac Williams rallied the Auburn Family, culminated by a sell-out championship-atmosphere in a win over three-win Texas A&M in Coach 'lac's Jordan-Hare debut.